Sunday, December 7, 2014

Winter Green Woods above Mostar

The transformative powers in nature are quite astonishing. Each season holds certain beauties that can go unnoticed. Winter for example is associated with snow, lights of the night, christmas trees, but not so much with bare landscapes. I wanted to showcase some local plains near Mostar, where the cold winter season has taken a toll on the vegetation, and where only winter greens survive.

click on the images for a bigger view

I love the crisp cold winter air, that bites your cheeks. Venturing into these regions is no easy task for those who chill easely. This is a really awesome spot for visitors to explore. It's a site of Mostar and Bosnia and Herzegovina, you won't find on any tourtist map.



In order to get here you need to divert from the main M-17 route that goes through Mostar and drive to the lookout spot "Fortica" from which you continue driving to these plains, sometimes known as "Podvelezje", meaning "At the foot of the mountain Velez" (which you will see in a couple of images later).

Roads here are few and narrow. They pierce through the stony hills and make their way over the valley all the way to the foot of even bigger mountains.


As I was approching mountain Velez, I noticed a big snow cloud hovering above it. Fresh snow had fallen on this day, giving a uniqe look to these southern regions of Europe.


A path leading into the winter green woods. I love the many places you can photograph here. Wherever you turn around there is a sight worth noticing.


As you make your way back to the city of Mostar, you will spot many unique rock formations. Some even include ruins of old fortresses and world war II hide out spots. That's why I said, that there is lot to discover here. It simply gives you a new perspective of these parts of my country, that you would othervise not see.


I hope you enjoyed these looks into the cold days around here.

How is winter treating you guys?



32 comments:

  1. Gorgeous scenic views, Mersad! Lovely series of photos. Happy Sunday and have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like winter but I love these views and I think certain things do look much prettier when it is crisp cold or has just snowed. I'm glad I visited there in the fall before it got too cold and will make sure to plan my return trip in warmer weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are outstanding shots of the beautiful scenery. Thanks for going to places off the beaten track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just beautiful, mersad! the moody skies are perfect for these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All are stunning. I love the path leading into the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't look as white as my winter so it is refreshing to see green views. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb captures as always, Mersad, and what an incredibly beautiful place!! Love those moody, winter skies and the path into the woods!! It does indeed look as if winter has arrived. Our weather in Portland has been pretty mild, just rainy and chill, but there has been snow in the mountains. Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I do enjoy seeing your part of the world. Here at sea we have people working on board from your part of the world and it is good to see their homeland, too. :) Thank you for sharing your amazing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the scenes but especially like cloud formations above the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning!

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are some spectacular scenes. The cloud above the mountain is quite a capture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful scenery!! i am in Michigan, not a fan of the cold unfortunately!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super set of photos, Mersad - It seems very remote. Such gorgeous scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful scenery, looks like an interesting place to explore especially with a camera!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I particularly like the last picture. There seems to be a bit of everything to please the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please place a link to Blue Monday on your post so that others can find us. Then return to link in again with Mr. Linky. You can find the code when you click on the blue bird located in my sidebar.

    http://smilingsally.blogspot.com

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will find the link back under the "Where I'm Linking To" button

      Delete
  17. Love the Mountain Velez shot a lot just beautiful!

    http://marieflutterby.blogspot.ca/2014/12/mono-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you share your beautiful world with us. These shots are just gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  19. The rugged landscape appeals to my wild soul!

    Shadowy Shrine

    ReplyDelete
  20. These photos are simply gorgeous. It makes me want to take a hike in the mountains but, I think I'll wait until it's just a bit warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your scenery is just wonderful to see. I enjoy the crispness of autumn for about a week, then I'm over it--so glad that summer is here in New Zealand!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous views, Mersad. I can almost feel the chill wind whipping across the mountains. We are having a warmer than usual week (daytime temps about 13 Celsius) and a wind and rain storm is supposed to sweep in from the Pacific tonight and drench us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't sound like good weather at all. Stay safe.

      Delete
  23. I'm comfortable in your gorgeous mountain scenery, Mersad. I love the forest shot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Marvelous photo tour! Is the trail marked with a rock border?

    ReplyDelete
  25. You live in an impressive landscape! Today I woke up to a snowstorm howling outside for the first time this season. Happy I have no compelling reason to go out but can stay in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such glorious scenic views. Around here, there are seasonal changes, but never so much as hot summers to snowy winters. Just mild temperatures with a change of landscape...somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes, beautiful scenes. Mersad, I do not begrudge your appreciation of this season. BUT, for those of us who are inundated with that lovely white stuff, the aftermath is unpleasant. Graying and dirty snow and worst of all is the ice. As a child, I, too, loved snowfalls, sledding, ice skating and chilly evenings but as an adult with fragile bones, I am not longer thrilled. Continue snapping photos, tho; I can enjoy the scenes and your feelings of appreciation when nature is kind and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I agree. These are amazing photos. You present the best of the cold in your area. It is snowing here in NY which will look pretty freshly fallen.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  29. The landscape looks so rough and beautiful...dramatic. I love the way it looks in the winter. How awesome it must be to live there!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.